This recipe is the perfect hydrating combination of what your body needs including potassium, calcium, protein, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, amino acids, phytonutrients, magnesium, carbohydrates and fibre. Equally important as all of these wonderful nutritional benefits is the fact that this smoothie will sustain you until lunchtime, the cinnamon regulates your blood sugar and the Maca powder boosts your mood. Ladies, Maca powder can also assist with menstrual pain and gents Maca can increase sexual function and endurance. What a way to start the day!
Ingredients – makes 1 smoothie
- A handful of ice cubes
- 220ml coconut water
- 220ml almond milk (you can use other milk if you prefer)
- I tbs coconut yoghurt (or Greek probiotic yoghurt)
- 1 scoop of your favourite protein powder (I use Professional Whey or Raw)
- 1 tsp acai powder
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp spirulina
- ½ tsp maca powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup gluten free oats (paleo fans you can replace the oats with 1tbs chia seeds)
- Place all the ingredients into the blender in the order listed above (I use a Vitamix)
- Blend on the smoothie setting
- Pour into a tall glass and enjoy
Maca: is a superfood from Peru. You may wish to start with ¼ tsp of Maca and eventually work your way up to the daily recommended dose of 1tbs. The taste is quite strong so it takes some getting used to.
Sugar: if you haven’t quit sugar and need some sweetness in your smoothie you can add ½ a frozen banana or better yet a small handful of frozen blueberries.
Taste: if this is your first foray into green smoothies it may take you a few days to adjust to the earthiness of this smoothie but if you're committed to giving your body what it needs you will come to crave this drink every morning as I do.
I really hope you enjoy the benefits and vitality of this smoothie, it truly is a great way to replenish your body after your morning workout. Please feel free to share, comment and click the love heart below.